Monday, October 23, 2017

Pajama Barbie, To Ski or to Snowboard, Gabe and his Girls, Hiring a Garburator

Days in the Life...

We've officially been home a little more than a week and it feels like so much longer...except that several of us are still struggling with the five hour time difference. It's amazing how fast our tans have faded! But the Texas weather has been gorgeous and we have enjoyed eating outside, allergies, taking walks, and having lots of windows open. Jumping back into routine at home has gone pretty smoothly and we are mostly glad to be back. Dad and I are still working through withdrawal.


Tuesday Chloe went to work at the ranch, Christian went to work with our neighbor, Dad continued with client meetings and work from home and sorting through 500 emails. Mom and the kids worked hard on school in the morning in preparation for the arrival of our three little girl cousins for the rest of the week.

Because I work mornings at Kimzeys I didn't go back to work for several days to let myself get a little more adjusted to the time difference. Otherwise I would be getting up for work about midnight according to my body clock. It was nice to get to work on things at home.

Even black coffee drinking baristas 
like cream in their coffee every so often. 



I experimented with making mini quiches and thankfully they turned out good! Of course I didn't use a recipe, who does that? (Answer, people who don't have to worry about their food tasting good.) I wanted some so I would have an easy breakfast to pull out of the freezer before work, because who wants to make breakfast from scratch at 5:30 in the morning? Have you noticed how you can make just about anything from scratch? It must be a very versatile substance... 



Wednesday morning was pretty similar to Tuesday for everyone. In the afternoon I met a friend to visit for a couple of hours and got home in time to greet our cousins. 

While we were in Maui, Mom's brother's wife, Aunt Lini, delivered their fourth baby girl, Lilia. She is absolutely adorable! Nana and Grandfather drove down to New Braunfuls about 10 days later to meet their new granddaughter and bring Geneva (8), Charissa (7), and Sierra (5) to their house (next door to us) for several days. 

Ava, Gabe, and Mia were super excited to get to play with their cousins and go on fun outings with them and Nana and Grandfather. They played outside a ton.

That night I played Scrabble with Ava and then with Mia. I was actually able to hold my own with both of them for once! Mia must have been tired or something, I was really surprised.


Thursday morning I finally got to go back to work! Getting up at 5:30 wasn't too bad and I was really excited. 

The sunrise was stunning!! My entire drive faces East and I love watching dawn break. 


A few of the regulars were "mad" at me for being gone so long and some thought I had stopped working at Kimzey's, but everyone was happy that I was back to make their coffee. 

While I was gone I drew these cards so that when people asked about my trip I can say, "It was amazing! I brought back some pineapples, do you want one?" 


I always get varying positive responses like "Uh, yeah!" or "Sure, but I don't know that I would know how to cut one." or "Yes, but how did you get them back here? Surely you don't have them with you right now." I have a lot of fun seeing people's reaction when I hand one to them. Definitely a nice way to make up for being gone so long. Or something like that. 

In the late afternoon and evening Dad took Ava and Christian to Speech and Debate club. Tournament season is almost here! 


Friday morning I had to get up even earlier, but had an equally fantastic work shift. 


Nana and Grandfather did a great job coming up with fun activities and outings for the littles and our cousins. Gabe wasn't able to go every time because of returning to gymnastics for 3 multiple hour long workouts per week, and Ava opted out a time or two, but Mia thoroughly enjoyed each one. 

One day they went to a pumpkin patch, the next they went to the park with a picnic lunch, and on the last day to another park and the zoo. It was a busy few days! 

I love our Texas sky!


Friday night Mom and Dad went out on a double date and the rest of us had a movie night. 


Saturday Mom and I were the only ones home for a large portion of the day.

Chloe took Christian to a Debate training/practice, Dad took Gabe to the gym and then the two of them along with Ava went to buy more fish for their fish tanks, and Mia was out on a cousin outing again.

Mom and I had a wonderfully quiet morning working on our own things and then visiting over coffee. Later, Mom worked on a bunch of food prep for the month and I kept her company by doing research for various things at the kitchen table. It was so nice to have the house to ourselves!

I made smoothie bowls for the two of us for a late lunch. They were really good! Neither of us were hungry until dinner time 4 hours later, which was really awesome.


-Handful of frozen blueberries
-Handful of frozen strawberries
-2 tablespoons peanut butter 
-2 scoops chocolate protein powder 
-Enough almond milk to get the right consistency as you blend in blender. 
-Top with kiwi, hemp seed, chia seed, coconut flakes, and toasted pecans. 

Not too sweet, lots of 
protein and super foods! 

The others all were home by late afternoon working on things around the house including putting together our snow outfits for a winter trip next year because you can never prepare too early. We will either ski or snowboard depending on which one each of us chooses to learn. Chloe, Christian, and I went on a ski trip 11 years ago, but the littles have never even really been somewhere with serious snow. We are just a total beach crew. 

How am I supposed to do anything with this many clothes on?
Can I wear flip flops on the mountain? 


Saturday night we had dinner all together and then watched "Chasing Mavericks" which is an amazing surfing movie. We all really enjoyed it, even those of us who had watched it on the airplane the week before. 


Sunday morning we slept in some and then made brunch and after eating, discussed the upcoming week and everyone's schedules. 

In the early afternoon we told our cousins goodbye and they headed back home.

Left to right-
Geneva, Gabe, Mia, Charissa, Sierra 


Our church now meets Sunday afternoons so we did that after a little down time at home. After a really good service and visiting with people, we went out to dinner with Gramma and Grandpa at Twisted Root Burger. 


That moment when...

Two mornings in a row you drop the lid of a little bottle in your water glass.


The Herd: Quoted 

"To stop you just have to make a pizza shape with your skis." -Chloe telling Gabe how to stop while skiing. 
"Do you mean the shape of a pizza slice?" -Mom
"I mean a slice! Like a triangle, that pizza shape." -Chloe
"A pizza is round and that is blog-worthy." -Mom 

"And there was a baby jaguar." -Mia telling about the zoo.
"Awwwwwww!" -Everyone at the same time.

How was it trying to keep track of all those girls, Gabe? -Me 
"Bad. They kept running away from me in all different directions!" -Gabe 

"Oh I already know what I want to do when I'm older, I want to be a gymnastics coach. I'm in my gym clothes right now. I just got done with my workout." -Gabe very matter of factly when it is suggested he work in the pet store by the man working there.

"Wow, they're good!" -Ava watching people dance on ice.
"That's probably why they are on tv..." -Me

"I will likely not ski, there are so many other things to do, like watch movies and sip on hot chocolate. I will do that, while y'all are all trying to stay alive on the triple black diamond Satan's chasm of death." -Uncle Phil talking about his plans for the family winter trip.

"I'm racing a 20 year old! I am racing a 20 year old!" -Our 8 year old cousin after she challenged me to a foot versus scooter race. Me on my feet beat her.

"You make coffee for people? That is a weird job." -Same cousin to me when I got home from Kimzey's.

"How do you like your new sister? -Me to our 5 year old cousin.
"Oh, she's okay, she's pretty nice. But she doesn't have any teeth." -5 year old cousin.

"It's 5:30? That means I have to get up off the couch." -Mom being dramatic as she realizes she and Dad need to leave for their double date with another couple from church who like to refer to Mom and Dad as Barbie and Ken.
"Mom, Barbie doesn't get tired." -Me
"This Barbie does!" -Mom
"Ken is tired too!" -Dad
"But even pajama Barbie has on makeup and a huge happy smile..." -Me

"You're in the middle seat, Mia." -Gabe 
"Yup, I'm aware of my dwelling place." -Mia 

"Look! You can buy a burger for $8.00!" -Dad joking because in Maui they are about $15.00. 

"If anyone wants some more burger I have some." -Me
"Nope, I'm not being your garburator anymore." -Christian 
"And you're not hiring another one here." -Gabe 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Lydia Linn. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know about you and your love for the Lord Jesus Christ. I have thoroughly enjoyed your post depicting every day activities. I am also blessed to take a tour with you. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your other siblings to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends as well as wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete

Did we give you joy? Or point you to the Lord? Have we inspired you in someway, or maybe simply brought a smile to your face? Feel free to share your thoughts with us so we can continue our mission to encourage!