Sunday, May 31, 2015

Saturday Fun

I was sure I set my alarm for 6:00am this morning. It's a good thing 7:00am was also set to go off. I'm pretty sure most of us slept pretty hard last night. Later in the day I did find out, "Oh my 6:00am alarm is only set for weekdays and as this was Saturday it would naturally not go off." 

I was the last out of bed. Everyone else had already been up (or down depending on if they slept upstairs or in the basement) and had consumed a majority of the donuts. While the adults sat outside discussing their angels human children, said children sat inside watching a documentary on the benefits and blessings of living a life of obedience Looney Tunes. 


Today's planned adventure was visiting the Air and Space Museum. Our friends, the Blairs, went with us and Aunt Amy, Uncle JC, and Rowan met us there. 



This is the airplane I was asked if I'd seen. (You know who you are.)



This rocket is called The Discovery and it took it's finally flight in 2011. I remember coming to this museum about 9 years ago. The rocket here last time was a different one, but even though I was smaller then, it was still very, very big today. 


Rowan enjoying the view of the underside of The Discovery. 




It didn't fit in one picture! 



This airplane is actually a manned bomb. These were dropped off larger airplanes and the barely trained pilots had to steer them into the target. Basically they knew as soon as they left the main craft, they were dead. No parachutes, no landing gear, just explosions. 


We were able to go up into an observation tower and this was part of the view! 



Mom and the Blairs left a little early, and Aunt Amy and Uncle JC and Rowan left from there, but the rest of us went to Five Guys for lunch. This is my veggie sandwich…um…or they gave me the wrong thing… Actually I can't remember the last time I had a real hamburger.




Christian bought his own drink and naturally everyone wanted to have a sip very long drink. He was very gracious to allow us to slobber all over his straw take a few lot of sips each. 


We arrived home mid-afternoon and the kids were thrilled to play. Mom had laundry going and was visiting with her friend of 28 years. Things went on for a couple of hours. Some loud, some quiet, all fun. We joined the Blairs for the Saturday night service at their church. The message on how we relate to people and learning to love was incredible and, as always, was exactly what I needed to hear based even on things I thought of on the 10 minute drive to the church. 

Back at the house this giant bag of popcorn was prepared and a "split screen" movie night ensued, a.k.a. the kids watched a thingy in the basement and the teen girls and parents watched another thingy on the main level. The chosen features were "The Lego Movie" and "Kate and Leopold". I bet most everyone can guess who watched what. 


The Herd: Quoted

"I'm waiting for her to say 'if you're not going to follow my directions then why'd you ask for them?'" -Mom referring to Siri. 

"Let's pray. Everybody put everything down. Close your eyes. *pause* Hey! Close your eyes." -Gabe at lunch.

"What is up with everyone wanting my drink?" -Christian 
"Hey, sibling tax!" -Me

"What is it?" -Me
"Root Beer." -Chloe
"Aww man! I was going to tell her something gross so she wouldn't want any!" -Christian 

"Make sure you put your finger right here on your nose *demonstrating* it helps you think." -Mom to Gabe

"Well you can always write on my arm." -Chloe
*Loooooonnnnng pause* 
"Thank you." -Me
"But I also had a notebook in my bag." -Chloe

"Can I put that on the blog?" -Me
"NO." -Mom and Dad in perfect sync.

"And that is as close to science fiction as Lydia gets." -Dad 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did we give you joy? Or point you to the Lord? Have we inspired you in someway, or maybe simply brought a smile to your face? Feel free to share your thoughts with us so we can continue our mission to encourage!